Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Current Status

Hello All,

I apologize that it has been a while since I have posted. My schedule is cray, and I've been on a couple of vacations. The vacations have given me a good idea of exactly how well I see in most situations.

First, the good news. It is incredible to be able to go to the beach and wear sunglasses AND be able to go in the water. I was always afraid of losing my contacts, so I always wore my glasses to the beach. To be able to go in the water and see was phenomenal. These lenses really have changed my world, though not always as perfectly as I had hoped.

The bad news, though, is that nothing has really changed since my last post, which was right after the surgery. I still have significant night halos, and I no longer expect them to go away. I can control them to an extent with a drop called Alphagan P, which I take in the evening. It helps, but is not perfect and is not terribly consistent. Some night I see no halos, other nights they are minimized only slightly.

I am still wearing the light glasses a good portion of the time. I don't NEED them to drive, but they help a lot. I need them to play golf, attend a baseball game, or do anything that requires detail vision. I can read without them, but not as comfortably, and they help to watch TV as well.

My biggest issue, though, is that in order to correct this, my doctor said I'd have to have PRK. If you're not familiar, PRK is the older and more time-tested treatment. However, it is much more painful than LASIK, and takes a lot longer for the vision to stabilize. One internet account I read stated that the pain was excruciating for two days, and that the vision didn't get perfect for six months. I am really not happy about this. I have heard that some people have had LASIK after Visian surgery, so I need to look into that some more.

So that's the latest update. There are pieces to this that are great, but I am still frustrated and feel a bit misled. I'll have another appointment next month where we discuss the touch-up surgery more, so I will be sure to post again after that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So in the long run, would you recommend the procedure for someone with -12 nearsightedness?